Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"It's a blessed condition, believe me": Images of African Americans in horror cinema #13.

Throughout February, ANTSS will be running images that reflect - for better or worse - the image of African Americans in horror cinema.

Eugene Clark in Land of the Dead, 2005.


Jonny Metro said...

Ha ha, that pic is classic.

This film may have been flawed, but I did like the fact that Romero stuck with his tradition of casting an African American in the lead--and it was just an added bonus that this lead happened to be one of the undead.


Sarah said...

Jonny Metro has a point. I never thought of it that way.

I've been pondering lately in regards to Diary of the Dead if Romero was trying to make a point in that the group of African American survivors/small militia had their shit way more together than the film students the movie was following. I've heard a few people say that the group of African Americans would've been way more interesting to follow than the annoying film students, which I agree with.