Saturday, August 20, 2011

Stuff: Does anybody ask mystery writers what crimes they've solved?


The Gray Dame has an nice with-your-coffee-on-Saturday fluff piece that revisits that perennial favorite topic of horror "journalism:" what scares the folk who make the things that scare us? The nice thing about this particular piece is that the NY Times can pull together a list that would be the envy of even the most powerful blogging sites. Their mix of A-list names and notable horror indie types is one of the best horror conclaves I seen in ages.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Glad to see those guys are as scared by The Shining as I am. Those little girls; ugh, from the first time he sees them, when they enter the games room and then turn, as a unit, holding hands...that turn is creepier than seeing them hacked up on the floor.

Anonymous said...

CRwM!
I was pleased to read John Waters cite THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, and that THE EXORCIST got mentioned, because those two usually top my personal horror list. But, as to movies that just scare the crap out of me BEFORE I've even seen them? John Waters pre-POLYESTER. I'm too scared to watch them! I've only seen MULTIPLE MANIACS. I think because they look so amateurishly made, they seem capable of doing anything on-screen. And, he does, infamously, with PINK FLAMINGOES.
But, really, I love READING about Waters' films, but the prospect of sitting down to watch any of his early work just freaks me out.